What you should look for
Are you an LCSW, CMHC, LPC, LMFT, or a PsyD in your own private practice or are running your own clinic and thinking about hiring a or wanting to switch out your current billing and credentialing company?
Here are some things to look for:
• Find a service that specializes in mental health billing, which can be quite different than medical billing.
• Find someone who stays on top of the ever-changing world of mental health insurance coding and billing.
• Find someone who has extensive experience working with other therapists and insurance plans in your state and has developed ongoing relationships with them.
• Consider carefully what it is that you want a billing service to do for you.
• Write out and sign clear agreements about all expectations and fees.
• Interview billers and call their references if you have any concerns.
• You need not find someone with an office close to you; it is possible that all communication may take place via phone, fax, or e-mail.
• Ask questions
• Most importantly, monitor them closely – ask for regular reports on which plans have been billed for what clients and what dates of services, so if something happens with the billing service you could pick up where they left off.
Billing requires us to constantly stay on top of the ever changing laws and requirements. Something you thought was the way it is supposed to be, could completely change the following month. Make sure you find the best for you and your practice.
Let me know if you have any questions.